Increasing productivity when working from home is so essential if you want to succeed in building a successful and profitable business from home. Working from home is an awesome opportunity and a great experience, but it’s far from easy, especially if you’re a work from home dad like me. As well as being organized and balancing your time around family life and play time, you also have to remain productive and avoid too many distractions, which sometimes can be quite challenging.
In this post I want to share with you 6 awesome tips for increasing productivity when working from home, I’ve used these tips myself and I’m positive they can work for your too, so grab yourself a drink and a note pad and let’s get started.
My Top Tips For Increasing Productivity When Working From Home
1. Set your working hours – Avoid mixing work with family life or play time, it’s not a good idea. That’s one of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started working from home and I can tell you that not only will you become unproductive, but family should always come first and mixing the two can have a detrimental effect on the quality of the time you spend with family and the quality and output of your work. Ensure you set your hours for work and within those hours do nothing else but work, at the same time when you’re spending time with family and friends, don’t take your work with you.
2. Turn off distractions – Another big NO when working from home is having distractions in the background, such as the TV on, the radio blaring, iPhone going off every few minutes when you get a Facebook notification or text message. Turn off all these distractions, they only consume your time and decrease productivity.
3. Get offline – If you’re like me and do most of your work online, then try and only use the internet when you need it, otherwise restrict your access to it. The only time I’m online is when I’m publishing, communicating or researching. The internet can provide you with great productivity tools, but be careful not to be distracted too often by them.
4. Make yourself unavailable – Ensure that your friends and families are aware of the hours you work from home, so that they know not to disturb you during that time. Otherwise you can lock the doors, draw the curtains and take the phone off the hook… Only kidding…
5. Find your work space – Having your laptop in bed or sat in Starbucks with your iPad is not the best method of increasing productivity when working from home! You might see similar images on the internet that falsely represent what working from home is all about, but I can tell you it’s nothing like that at all. So my tip for you is to find your little place of Zen within your home and make it your regular place of work.
6. Be available – Finally I mentioned ‘make yourself unavailable’, but if you need to be contactable for work purpose only, ensure that if you ever have to venture outside of your work space, or leave your home, that you take with you your phone or tablet computer, just as long as it’s for productivity purposes.
So I hope you’ve enjoyed my 6 tips for increasing productivity when working from home troops, if you want to add anymore tips to the list please let me know about them in the comment section below as always. In the meantime if you enjoyed reading this post why not subscribe to my email newsletter for more tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Have a great week as always.
Image courtesy of Flickr user: Kathy Ponce