This week Samantha and I have been discussing future plans for the blog once again, and the fact that we may never recover the loss of traffic from 2011 / 2012 Google algorithm updates.
We’ve worked tirelessly and damn well hard to try and remove as much low quality content from the site as well as address our backlink profile, working towards building a more Google friendly profile, but we’re yet to see the search engine visitor numbers we use to see flowing back to the site.
Needless to say, we won’t stop until something happens…
Although the daily traffic is at an all-time low here on Magnet4Marketing and the site isn’t generating as much revenue as it once was, we’re still pleased to see some income being generated (affiliate marketing), and most importantly, we’re still seeing YOU, our loyal readers coming back to the blog and reading the content and leaving valuable comments, so user generated content is good, so a big thank you.
It just goes to show that despite having lost a lot of SE traffic, you can still make good with the little traffic that you already have to your blog, which is why I guess building an audience is so vital.
Whilst Google still remains to be our top traffic source (only just), not so far behind are traffic coming from Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Scoop.it, JustRetweet and a bunch of blogs that I regularly guest blog on.
So if you’re in a similar kind of boat as we are, how can you make the most of the little traffic that you have? Here’s my list for you –
6 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Blog’s Traffic
1. Have a damn good site – First and foremost, don’t throw away valuable visitors by having a crappy, prehistoric looking and under-performing blog. If you’re a WordPress user get rid of that free theme you’ve been using forever and a day, and invest in a premium quality theme, find one that suits the design and layout for your blog and improve the mapping of your blog, i.e. main navigation, sub navigation and footer pages, internal linking etc. Create an awesome user experience for your visitors.
In addition to that try and give your blog a reasonably clean look, minimize ads and remove any silly distractions that you have and think you can do without.
2. Capture email addresses with effective opt-in form placements – Make sure those precious visitors come back again and again by capturing their email addresses. Placements should include your blog’s sidebar right at the very top above the fold, at the bottom of posts just before the comment box, in your ‘about page’ and should you wish, as a pop-up feature when visitors land on your homepage.
Read: Bloggers – How To Build A Powerful Email List For Your Blog
3. Create valuable and shareable content – Create the type of valuable content that demands to be shared on social network sites, blogging community sites, content curation sites etc. The types of content I’m talking about are ‘how to’ posts, infographics, video tutorials, interviews of influential people, breaking news type posts etc. Don’t forget to give your articles a catchy, attention grabbing headline title too, and make it easy for people to share.
4. Provide irresistible offers – It doesn’t matter whether you’re giving 60% off a web hosting package or giving away a valuable resource such as an eBook, a free WordPress theme, a useful plugin or whatever else, make it stand out like a sore thumb, make it irresistible. Make it so appealing that people will want to talk about it on their blogs, in the forums and on social sites.
If you’re running an ecommerce website, ensure you have new offers rolling out each week or so, and showcase them on the homepage of your website, in your company blog, in your email newsletters, on social pages and where ever else possible.
5. Host contests and giveaways – Everybody loves them, and boy do they attract lots of traffic and get people sharing like crazy. If you have something valuable and useful worth giving away, consider hosting a monthly blog contest. Use something like RaffleCopter and announce your contest in a YouTube video to promote more interest.
6. Incorporate the ‘Pat Flynn’ strategy of being everywhere… - Pat Flynn’s concept of being everywhere pays off well and anyone who is familiar with his success will agree – so it’s one thing that you should try and do with your blog. Don’t just hide and remain in your comfort zone, break away from tradition and be on all the social sites, use different media formats to distribute your content, get on all the popular forums, guest blog, comment on the most popular blogs in your niche and start promoting your brand, get out there.
So if you’re one of many who have lost traffic and are struggling to regain it back, just keep working towards improving your blog and creating great content and building authority backlinks. In the meantime make the very most of the traffic you have and focus on building your community.
Have a great week ::
p.s. If you have any tips you’d like to add, get writing them in the comment section below, as always I love to hear your thoughts, reactions and your own strategies.