This month we hit a new milestone in my blogging journey, we broke through the 10,000 Twitter followers mark. It’s an achievement that I’m really proud about, and so before I begin shedding out some of the tips and tricks that I used to build my Twitter followers over the last 12 months or so, I’d first like to dish out a big thank you to all 10,000 of you who followed me over the last 12 months or so, I’ve connected with some great people and have even met a few of you at conferences and exhibitions… so here’s to hitting 20,000 in the not so distant future.
Whether you’ve been using Twitter for a while and have gained a few hundred users or are completely new to twitter world, you can benefit from the tips and strategies in this post. In addition, I’d also recommend reading the following –
12 months ago we sailed pass the 4,000 twitter follower’s mark and it was then when I began to take more notice and put more effort in building targeted followers on twitter. Below are some of the strategies, techniques and also the tools that I used to build 6,000 additional followers…
11 Tips and Ideas to Get More Twitter Followers
- Post useful, interesting and resourceful content on twitter.
- Post comments on your followers recent tweets, engage and build connections with them. Make good use of @connect feature…
- Reply to tweets, give thanks to those who take the time to retweet your posts.
- Check out the latest trends in your niche and retweet them…
- Use a real photo of yourself or your company logo as Gravatar, not a celebrity figure or an icon.
- Follow twitter users who share the same passion and topic interests as you.
- Follow back those who follow you first, make exceptions not to follow non-related users, or those who you know will provide little value.
- Share other peoples content on your profile (e.g. tweet other bloggers posts).
- Take 20 minutes each day to follow 30 to 50 twitter users.
- Host a blog contest and get entrants to follow you on twitter as form of entry into your contest.
- Post questions, news and announcements on twitter
8 Ways to Promote your Twitter Profile
- Connect your twitter account with your other social profiles, i.e. YouTube, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest etc…
- Place a twitter profile badge on your blog or website.
- Signup to JustRetweet to get more followers and get more retweets on your posts.
- Use TwitterKarma to remove users that don’t follow you back, unless you value their tweets more…
- Customize or brand your twitter profile.
- Signup to Empire Avenue to get more followers and social media engagement.
- Add a well written short bio
- Comment on blog’s that allows you to leave your twitter username in comment section.
- Use HootSuite to schedule your Tweets.
6 Things to Avoid when Twitter Marketing
- Don’t excessively tweet the hell out of your followers.
- Don’t just follow anyone…
- Don’t post non-related, offensive or obscene content on twitter.
- Don’t spam your followers with affiliate links.
- Don’t spend longer than you need on twitter.
- Don’t have multiple twitter accounts; put your efforts into one place.
So folks there you have it, the tips and techniques that I used to build over 10,000 twitter followers, I’m now looking forward to finding new ways and new ideas to reaching the next 10,000. More over I’m looking forward to your own ideas, strategies and suggestions for skyrocketing your Twitter followers. Leave me a comment below.