Online marketing is an essential part of building a reputable and successful online business. Marketing helps us to understand our customers needs and allows us to develop a unique relationship with them through trial and error, to find the very best profitable avenues and of course to create a happy medium for both consumers and business growers.
Along the way we naturally run into obstacles, some of which are very obvious ones, but needless to say they need to be mentioned, and so today I’d like to share with you 10 deadly mistakes to avoid when doing online marketing. Once again if you’re a complete newbie to marketing your business online, the following Don’ts should serve you great purpose.
- Don’t Assume You Know It All – Learn all there is to know; there is much to learn about marketing your business online, from the very first day to the last.
- Don’t Use More Methods Than You Can Handle – Avoid using more marketing tactics and methods than you can actually keep up with. Be selective, test which one’s works best for you and stick with them.
- Don’t Neglect Email – Email marketing is probably the second most important method of online marketing there is. The first would be of course is to maintain a high level of customer service.
- Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket – This is a famous saying which we all know, in here it means don’t invest all your time, money and effort on one single marketing strategy, even worst still if that strategy isn’t the best of strategies.
- Don’t Assume Having Good Content Is Enough – Content is king and all that yes we know, but it isn’t enough. Writing fantastic content for a blog that no one knows exists is as affective as promoting a blank page.
- Don’t Become Unreachable – Nobody enjoys talking to a useless answer phone or pre-recorded telephone customer service line (I hate that). Ensure you’re reachable at all times whether it’s by telephone or email.
- Don’t Ignore Your Competitors – Keep your customers close; but keep your competitors even closer.
- Don’t Think That Once Your Site Is up & Running You Don’t Need to Update it – This is something I hear every other day from new website owners, oh once it’s up and running I don’t need to do anything else right? Wrong! – Keep your site updated with info, news and developments, post any special offers, interact with your clients online with a blog, the list is endless…
- Don’t Leave Social Media Behind – Social networking sites are rising out of the ground faster than anyone of us can keep up. It’s not just part of today’s online marketing brick and mortar, its part of our everyday lives also. Users are potential consumers so ensure you’re on the bandwagon.
- Don’t Assume Everything You Do Has To Be Online – This is a common mistake which happens quite a lot, the people that use the internet are living and breathing individuals, unless they’re a spam bot of course! Ensure that you have business cards, hold seminars, talks, do press release advertising and anything else offline that can promote you further online.
Keep all these essential points in mind (at best avoid them) and you’ll be making huge progress and ensuring that your marketing efforts are being put to great use.
Want or feel the need to add to the list? Feel free to add them in the comments section below.
Photo by T&J Photography