Let’s face it making money from blogging is tough, no matter how you go about it. Whilst there are numerous ways of making money from blogging, there are a few essential things that you can also do to optimize your blog effectively, to increase conversion rate and make more money from blogging.
James Martell’s post
5 Ways to Double Your Income without Doubling Your Traffic is an awesome and interesting read which inspired this post somewhat. It’s well worth checking out if you haven’t already done so, head over there now.
Ok so today I’m going to share with you 8 ways in which you can optimize your blog to effectively make more money from it.
1. Don’t let Ads Dominate your Blog – Don’t overdose your blog with useless ads. Use one source of contextual ad only such as Google AdSense, and not a mix of contextual ads with in-text advertising with pop0up ads provided by every ad service provider available online for example!
2. Ensure your Content is Relevant and to the Point – Ensure that you are consistent in putting out relevant content onto your blog. If you’re reviewing an affiliate product for example ensure that it is one that is relevant to the niche of your blog and one that your readers will find use for. Believe it or not I’ve seen one particular tech blog (stating no names) promoting pet products!
3. De-Clutter your Blog (James Martell made a very important point on this) – Use less WordPress bling on your blog such as fancy plugins and special features that could potentially distract paying visitors away, optimize your blog by removing some of these extra features to make your blog more clean focus and attractive.
4. Make your Opt-in Form more visible – Ensure that your opt-in form is visible. I’d recommend using the ViperBar plugin which places an email opt-in form just above the header of your site. It’s a great tool for building a list quickly and efficiently. You can also optimize your blog by placing the Feedburner opt-in form at the end of posts and pages.
5. Affiliates – Offer less Options! – When it comes to affiliate links and banner ads, offer less options, sometimes having too much choice can deter paying visitors away as well; optimize your blog for better affiliate earnings by eliminating the under performing links and banners that you’ve had on there for ever and a day…
6. Place Highest Paying Affiliate links close to the Top – I’m sure that if you’re already making a steady income from one or two of your affiliates you’ll appreciate this tip. Ensure the top paying affiliates are close to the top of your blog, e.g. above the fold in the sidebar or in the header itself if using banner ads.
7. Use an Affiliate Link Cloaker – Affiliate link cloaker’s are used to hide tatty and spammy looking affiliate links, and can also help increase your conversion rate greatly. I’d recommend something like Pretty Link plugin.
8. Google AdSense – Finally if you’re using Google AdSense on your blog here are a few AdSense optimization tips.
- Use the recommended number of ad blocks, links etc.
- Ensure ads are placed in prime locations
- Customize ads to blend in with the content of your blog
- Block MFA sites from appearing on your ads using competitive ad filter
Do you have any further tips to add?
As always we ask you to share your own tips, suggestions and criticisms in the comment section below. I’d love to hear from you, in the meantime make a start and optimize your blog today and start seeing more money for your efforts.
Grapes photo by Kirstea