OK so you’ve made the decision to go self-hosted, congratulations. Now what? Assuming you’ve found your perfect blog theme and written a killer launch post; here are 10 essential things to do with your newly unwrapped WordPress blog.
1. Get your first post off to a good start with an introduction of who you are and why you decided to launch your blog. At first absolutely no one is going to see or know of this post, but with enough time and hard work you can look back upon it and feel proud of your first launch post, thinking positively of course and that you are going to succeed.
2. Create your author box and create a good one at that. Write a brief description about yourself and what you do, add some info about what you like to do in your spare time too. Most importantly, don’t forget to add a link to your social networking profiles, specifically your Google+ account.
4. Add your own Favicon icon to your blog; If you’re using Genesis, check out our short tutorial on how to do this here: Theme Customization.
5. Add and claim your self-hosted blog on Technorati.
6. Install the SEO WordPress plugin by Yoast so you can start using it from your very first post.
7. Install the Sharebar Plugin so that your posts can easily be shared on Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon and Digg plus many more social sites. If you don’t like the Sharebar plugin, consider the Digg Digg plugin instead. Check out the list of my top recommended plugins for newbie bloggers.
8. Add your blog’s RSS to your FeedBurner account. If you don’t have one of these yet, click the FeedBurner link to create one.
9. Install the Google Analytics plugin for WordPress and install your tracking code.
10. Create a sitemap in Google Web Master Tools.
11. Claim your website on Alexa.
OK, once you’ve taken care of all those little essentials, you can sit back and begin cranking out tons of awesome, mind boggling content for your future readers… Enjoy.